Keys WTO ambassadors tapped Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Wednesday as the best pick to lead the organisation, but she was opposed by Washington, who said it supported South Korean Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee instead.
The so-called troika of ambassadors heading the World Trade Organization’s three main branches determined after four months of consultations with member states that Okonjo-Iweala was the most likely to obtain the consensus needed to take the top job, WTO spokesman Keith Rockwell told reporters.
The initial pool of eight candidates for the WTO’s top post had been whittled down to just two over two previous rounds of consultations, with only Okonjo-Iweala and South Korean Trade Minister Yoo Myung-hee left in the race.
The global trade body is thus set to be led by a woman for the first time whichever of the two final candidates succeeds in their bid to follow Roberto Azevedo, who stepped down as WTO director-general in August a year ahead of schedule.
The troika, led by New Zealand’s Ambassador David Walker, concluded a third round of consultations on Tuesday.
Its decision marks an important step paving the way for Okonjo-Iweala to become the first woman and the first African to head the organisation.
But the WTO’s 164 member states still need to determine whether they will support her before their next General Council meeting on November 9.
And on Wednesday, Washington already said it was opposed to her taking the helm, casting doubt on whether she can obtain the necessary full backing from member states.“One delegation could not support the candidacy of Dr. Nogzi and said they would continue (supporting) South Korean minister Yoo,” he said.
“That delegation was Unites States of America.”
The global trade body has also faced relentless attacks from Washington, which has crippled the WTO dispute settlement appeal system and threatened to leave the organisation altogether.
“I am a reform candidate and I think the WTO needs the reform credentials and skills now.”
Source: The guardian.
Sincerely, Dead People Voted For The US Presidential Election And Democrats Help Make This Happened – Tucker Carlson
Statement from Tucker Carlson: “As we reported last week, dead Americans voted in this election. We shared a few examples. But on Friday, we began to learn some of the specific dead voters reported to us as deceased are in fact alive. We initially corrected this on Friday. We regret not catching it earlier. But the truth remains: dead people voted in the election.”
It’s been more than a week since the final votes were cast and many of Donald Trump’s 72 million voters still believe this election was fundamentally unfair. They’re right about that. Democrats completely changed the way we voted in this election. Our system has never been more disorganized and it’s never been more vulnerable to manipulation.
So was there voter fraud last week? We’ve been working on that question ever since Election Night. We’ve tried to be careful and precise as we report this out. In moments like this, truth matters more than ever. False allegations of fraud can cause as much damage as the fraud itself, and the last thing America needs right now is more damage.
What we’re about to tell you is accurate. It’s not a theory. It happened, and we can prove it. Other news organizations could prove it, too. They’ve simply chosen not to. The position of corporate media across the country this week has been very simple: There was no voter fraud. They say it again and again, but what exactly are they talking about? They won’t tell you. So we’re going to tell you right now.
Fewer than 15,000 votes separate Donald Trump from Joe Biden in the state of Georgia. It’s close enough that it’s worth getting specific about what happened there. Georgia’s secretary of state has now confirmed there will be a hand recount of all votes cast.
Among those votes, auditors will find a ballot cast by a woman called Deborah Jean Christiansen. It’d be hard to find anyone who’s got a bad word to say about Deborah Jean Christiansen. She was well known in her community for years as a birdwatcher, an avid gardener, a committed fan of the Georgia Bulldogs. Those who knew her were sad when she died last May. And they might be surprised to learn that even after her death, Deborah Jean Christiansen still managed to register to vote and then cast a ballot, presumably for Joe Biden.
In some ways, it’s an inspiring story, the triumph of voting over death. And no one quite embodies that story like James Blalock of Covington, Ga. Mr. Blalock was a mailman for 33 years until he passed away in 2006. Fourteen years later, according to state records, he was still mailing things. James Blalock cast a ballot in last week’s election. How did he do that? Maybe he was just one of those extraordinary mail carriers; neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night nor even death itself could keep him from the mail. In his case, maybe voting from the grave wasn’t really fraud, it was just commitment.
Then there’s Linda Kesler of Nicholson, Ga. Linda Kesler died in 2003. Seventeen years later, she was still voting in presidential elections. Edward Skwiot, of Trenton, Ga., spent his life working construction and teaching school. In his spare time, he loved bluegrass music. According to those who knew him, he played multiple instruments and enjoyed jam sessions. When he died five years ago at the age of 82, it seemed like he was gone from this world for good. But no, last week he voted for president and he wasn’t the only one.
Source: fox news
Trump Hails US Special Operations Soldiers For Rescuing 27 -Year – Old American Kidnapped In Nigeria
The President of the United States, Donald Trump, on Saturday commended the country’s Special Operations soldiers who rescued 27-year-old American, Philip Watson, kidnapped in Niger for ransom.
Trump, via his Twitter handle, @realDonaldTrump, stated that the US saluted the courage of the soldiers for the operation.
He tweeted, “Last night, our country’s brave warriors rescued an American hostage in Nigeria. Our nation salutes the courageous soldiers behind the daring nighttime rescue operation and celebrates the safe return of yet another American citizen.”
Similarly, the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, in a statement titled, ‘US Rescues American Held Hostage in Nigeria,’ noted that the US was committed to the safe return of the country’s citizens taken captive.
It added, “We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen after a group of armed men took him hostage across the border in Niger.
“Thanks to the extraordinary courage and capabilities of our military, the support of our intelligence professionals, and our diplomatic efforts, the hostage will be reunited with his family. We will never abandon any American taken hostage.’’
The Washington Post reported that the American citizen was kidnapped on Tuesday in Masalata region, Niger, and the Pentagon said US Navy SEAL Team Six led the overnight operation in northern Nigeria, where fighters loyal to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State had bases. It noted that none of the service members was injured in the raid.
The newspaper quoting a US official who was not authorised to speak on the matter said the assailants forced Watson from his farm in remote Masalata on Tuesday, demanding more than $1m from his family, who are missionaries, and threatened to sell him to extremists.
According to The Guardian (US), in a statement issued as the President campaigned in Pennsylvania on Saturday afternoon, he said, “Last night, at my direction, the United States military conducted a successful operation to rescue an American hostage in Nigeria, kidnapped just 96 hours earlier. United States Special Forces executed a daring nighttime operation to rescue their fellow American with exceptional skill, precision and bravery … The former hostage is currently in good health and has been reunited with his family.’’
It was reported that Walton reared camels, sheep and poultry and grew mangoes near the border with Nigeria. He was said to have been abducted by six men armed with assault rifles on motorcycles who forcibly took him away.
His abductors reportedly left his wife, young daughter and brother behind.
Despite support from French and US forces, Niger, like most countries in the Sahel region, grapples with disorder as groups with links to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State battle the army and civilians.
Trump Orders Immediate Shut Down Of Nigeria Embassy In US, Lagos And Abuja
The United States of America, USA, government under the administration of President, Donald Trump, has ordered the total shut down of Nigerian embassy in Lagos, Abuja and the United States, with an immediate effect.
It is believe that it has something to do with the peaceful protests in ‘Lekki Till Gate’ Lagos #EndSARs, as a result of Nigerian military present killing at protesters.
Nigeria News1 month ago
Northern Leaders Calls For 12 States Restructure, Resource Control
Nigeria News4 weeks ago
We Will End Every Agreement We Have With Britain Since They Are Aiding IPOB – Lai Muhammed Blows Hot
Insecurity2 months ago
Breaking : New Haven Police Station In Enugu Reportedly Attacked By Unknown People
Health5 months ago
Four Spiritual Benefits Of Bathing With Scent Leaf
Imo News2 months ago
Will You Still Call Hope Uzodinma A “Supreme court Governor” Since Court Has Dismissed A Suit To Sack Him?
Business News2 months ago
Breaking : Jubilation As Onitsha See Port Received First Container After 40 Years
News1 month ago
ENDSARS : North Will Go To War Against The South If Buhari Is Removed – Yerima Shettima Warns
American News1 month ago
Fish Out Soldiers Involved In Lekki Tollgate Massacre – US Government Tells Osibanjo